20.4.11

Almost Stepped on a Labaria Snake!

Labaria Snake (yellow tail distinctive feature)

The other day I went to go visit the butterfly farm. When I was stepping outside of the farm (just to the left of the guy in the blue shirt), I almost stepped on a labaria snake!!

For those of you who don't know, labaria snakes are rattle snakes that are very venomous. Snake bite symptoms include nausea, black outs, paralysis and death (if not treated in time)!! Considering the butterfly farm is 2 hours away from the nearest health clinic, getting bitten by a poisonous snake can be a serious medical emergency...

Luckily I was looking out where I was stepping! Although, I did stand a foot away from it and stare at it for a while before being told it was a labaria...

For more information on the labaria snake (bothrops atrox)

2 comments:

  1. A labaria snake is definitely no rattle snake.
    Rattle snakes belong to the genus Crotalus, while Labaria is a Botrox

    ReplyDelete